Like Us on Facebook

Welcome to the Cookie Jar Store

Welcome to the Cookie Jar Store

Most Viewed Products

Hull

Hull Pottery started in 1905 in Crooksville, Ohio by Addis Emmet Hull.The companies early lines consisted of common utilitarian stoneware, semi-porcelain dinnerware and decorative tile. They had a good reputation for producing quality ceramics. In the 1920s they opened an office and showroom in New York and offices in Chicago and Detroit along with a large warehouse in New Jersey. Hull also expanded the variety of their product line to art pottery and began using a broader variety of colors and glazing techniques. After A.E. Hull died in 1930, his son Addis E. Hull, Jr. assumed control of the business. He left the company in 1937 to become the General Manager of the Shawnee Pottery company. Gerald F. Watts became the new manager of the company along with Shulton Inc. of Old Spice fame. They manufactured cosmetic containers. By far the most popular line to come from the factory was "Red Riding Hood", produced in 1943. They also developed art pottery lines with floral themes: Calla Lily, Orchid, Magnolia, Rose and Tulip. The product line later expanded to include piggy banks, liquor bottles, and lamps. The company's Floristware line was one of Hull Pottery's most successful lines. In the 1940s through the 1960s, a plant or flower bouquet delivered from a florist was usually contained in a Hull pot or figural planter. In the mid-1980s the company was hit with multiple union strikes and foreign competition.The company ceased operations and closed the plant in 1986. Prices for Hull Pottery pieces have continued to increase substantially.